Monday, February 16, 2009

Welcome!!


Welcome to the first posting of Too Poor For Cooking School! My main goal for creating this blog is because, while I cannot afford to pay for cooking school, I still love to cook and share my food with others! I was inspired to write this after reading a blog I came across in an article on cnn.com which featured the Poor Girl Eats Well (http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/). I'm always looking for new recipes and new ideas so I was excited when I visited her blog and found some really cool recipes-try the spicy shrimp quesadillas!! Yum! Plus I love the idea of her $25 shopping cart and I really wish there was a Trader Joe's store in my area. Please note, this is not an attempt to copy her blog in any way and while I have definitely gotten some great ideas from her blog (Farmer's market!) and will continue to read it faithfully, I will not be posting any prices or anything of that kind unless of course I happen to come across something so cheap I just have to tell someone about it. I am more interested in just trying out different recipes and also making up my own and sharing them with you from my point of view! Writing is my second passion (the first is, duh, cooking/food!) so I figured this blog would be a nice pairing of the two.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. First of all, the title is true, I really am Too Poor For Cooking School. I have applied, and gone through all the motions, but I am very hesitant about taking out a loan for $27,000 for one year of schooling. My name is Raya, I am 26 years old and living in Orlando, FL. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business-Marketing from the University of Central Florida (Go Knights!) and I already have enough student loans to last me quite some time (and now u can see my hesitation at getting myself MORE into debt!). I have a job that has nothing to do with my degree, and nothing to do with what I want to do in life but the money is O.K. and it allows me to at least pay all my bills with a little bit left over for fun and food. I live in a 2-bedroom apartment with one roommate who has become my guinea pig for trying all of my creations, good and bad! Note: we are moving soon so be prepared for some "clearing out the pantry" recipes! I have a dog and she has a cat and together they are like Bonnie And Clyde, always causing mischief! I think my next post will be about my visit to my local Farmer's Market, which I just went to for the first time with a friend on sunday. I thought I was in heaven, it was so cool...(if you love to cook, you will understand this). Welcome and stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raya!

    I'm so glad I was able to inspire you to start your own blog! It's good to see that others are realizing you CAN eat yummy food even if you are too poor for things like cooking school or other fun stuff. I'm really looking forward to seeing what delicious recipes you come up with in the future. Maybe someday I'll feature one of yours on my blog too!

    Good luck with this but more importantly, have FUN with it!

    :) Kimberly @ PoorGirlEatsWell.com

    ReplyDelete