Monday, February 23, 2009

What A Weekend!!




This weekend was definitely a whirlwind! Saturday I worked in the morning and then went on a 10-mile bike ride. I also started my own little herb "garden" (and by garden I mean 5 small plastic dollar-store pots each with a different herb in them placed outside on my porch, heh), and did some cleaning up. Sunday was my day to relax...and to go to the farmer's market of course! Three weeks til moving day!! Starting to empty out the pantry...And today, Monday, one of my very best friends just gave birth to her very first baby!! A girl named Mackenzie Analeigh. She is SO PRETTY for a newborn baby!! So anyways, now you know why this recipe that I actually made on Saturday has taken so long to make it on here.


This is just one of those recipes that popped into my head out of nowhere and I was really surprised at how yummy it turned out to be! I don't know what to classify it as-breakfast? a hearty snack? I'm not sure! Now, I love the flavor of pomegranate (and it's very good for you-lots of antioxidants) but if you've ever tried to eat a whole one, it's very messy and time-consuming! So I usually try to use the juice instead, that way I can still get the benefits of the "super-fruit" without purple fingers and all those seeds. The quinoa absorbs all the juice and becomes almost chewy, and the sweet yet tartness of the pomegranate juice combined with the creamy slightly salty taste of the goat cheese is a perfect combo! Also, when I made this I used 2 cups of pomegranate juice to 1 cup quinoa but the pomegranate juice does thicken a little and become sweeter and more syrupy sooo next time I might use 1 cup water and 1 cup pomegranate. Just use whatever combination you prefer!
Recipe: Pomegranate Quinoa With Goat Cheese And Honey

2 cups pomegranate juice
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 0z. goat cheese
honey
mint to garnish

1. Rinse the quinoa and place in a small pot with the 2 cups of juice (or half juice, half water if you decide to go that route). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 20-30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Dish up some of the quinoa in a bowl and top with a big round slice of goat cheese. Drizzle with honey and garnish with mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment